Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client (you) by me (Becky Matthews Writing Ltd. The contract of service requires that the Client and I both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- I will deliver copywriting, content writing, scriptwriting and editorial services as mutually agreed and confirmed in writing by the Client and myself.
- The terms of the project will cover the medium in which the copy is delivered (e.g. Word or Google Docs). The terms will also include the date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to me and the latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
- I am not VAT-registered.
- The Client will pay me a fee per day, or per piece of content or an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior agreement.
- I agree to attend the Client's or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
- The Client will reimburse me for agreed reasonable expenses (e.g. postage) over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of carrying out editorial or research work.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, agreed upon by the Client and myself.
- If, however, on receipt of the item(s) to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- .I will stop working on a project immediately if it, or any part of it, appears to contain offensive or defamatory content, breaches copyright, promotes illegal activities, or promotes practice or ideas that may cause physical or mental harm to those who read the content.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the project is owned by the Client. The Client warrants that the materials delivered to me are the original work of the Client and that the same do not violate any copyright, trademark, or other protection of intellectual property. I will not take any responsibility for legal actions arising from your unlicensed use of copyright material. Any content created by me as part of the editorial process will become the copyright of the Client on full payment of my invoice unless otherwise agreed.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission, and I will sign an NDA if required.
- The Client is required to sign a copy of my copywriting agreement or confirm the terms in writing via email. This is an agreement to the contract of services between me and the Client.
- A non-refundable retainer fee is required to secure my writing services under the mutually agreed-upon project terms. This will be either 25% or 50% depending on the scope and turnaround) of the total agreed fee for the project payable before work begins.
- Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with the final invoice immediately upon completion of the copy.
- Unless otherwise agreed, payment will be made within 14 days of submission of my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- I may use the Client's name in my promotional material, but project work will not be shared if the Client requires exclusivity.
This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both I and the Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.